What is a Marin Mom?
A mom who lives in Marin.
What is the first thing you think of when you hear/read the words “Marin Mom”?
I asked myself this question and here was my honest answer:
Marin Mom is an unofficial term used in the Bay Area to describe a stay at home, hip, good looking, often blonde, fit, yoga going, organic eating, SUV driving, volunteering, soccer mom usually married to a wealthy guy. At least that is the stereotype that conjures in my mind when I hear “Marin Mom”
In researching stereotypes for my book I asked this same question on Facebook and Twitter and got some interesting responses confirming I am not the only one forming stereotypes. Here is what others had to say about Marin Moms:
- Ladies who lunch
- Lululemon and big black SUVs
- Money and multiple yoga classes each day
- SUVs (heard this one multiple times)
- Frequently distracted drivers
- Competition – being a mom seems like a competitive sport around here
- driving too much for their kids, not teaching them manners
- Sitting around drinking coffee in yoga gear, bit intense, while either their kids are bouncing around or sitting quietly to attention while she explains how to spell croissant in yiddish and mandarin.
- I think about me walking into La Boulange with friends and having a “Marin Mom” stop me and ask if I would bring an addition Latte to her table because a friend was joining her. When I told her I didn’t work there, no apologies.
- athletic, non-working, rich, svu driver, usually blonde mom
- Marin Moms: full time moms whose partners bring home the bacon. Totally dedicated to kid’s health and happiness.
- Run around in lululemon yoga outfits and shop at Whole Foods about 5 x a week. Like wine.
- A mom that lives in Marin.
- Marin Mom…SUV
- A fine bunch of women!
- Crazy suv’s trying to kill you, over protective and ruled by their kids, well off
- First thought was Brooks Bro. shirts, shimmering blondey-silver hair, capable, then jumped to Boho. Flower Show came to mind
- I think of amazing women who make me want to cry when I see how cool and interesting their kids turned out to be and firmly hope I can do as good a job as they did. Of course, I only know two Marin Moms, so I’m probably a statistical outlier. 🙂
- Aware, intelligent, active, loving, creative
As we all know, there is a grain of truth in stereotypes so yes these answers probably will give you a good idea of what your first impression of Marin Moms might be if you were to drop in on Marin from somewhere else knowing nothing about Marin. But the longer I live here in Marin the more I love the people of Marin. As you get to know each person on an individual level the stereotypes seem to fade away and Marin is full of some wonderful, caring people.
By the way, if you are a Marin Mom or happen to be visiting Marin, here is a great Website with TONS of fun things to do in Marin County… Marin Mommies!
What is the first thing you think of when you hear the words “Marin Mom”?